Wednesday, June 22, 2011

how to eat healthy at work

The other day at work we had a a celebration for a coworker. There was cake. This happens pretty regularly. While I personally had no desire to eat the cake, I realize a lot of other people have trouble saying no. What really helps me is knowing I have other snacks on hand, just in case I do get hungry. And what helps the most is thinking about what that cake will do to me. While others can eat refined sugar, flour and food coloring with no problem, I am not so fortunate. First, I'll either get irritable, tired or anxious. Or all three. No thanks. Then I'll crave even more sugar and carbs (eating sugar and carbs only makes you crave them more. This goes for everyone, btw). And the next morning, I'll most likely wake up with a breakout. Sugar and grains really affect my skin. There are also times when I'm pressured into eating things that I know aren't good for me and will make me feel like shit. And yes, I have caved to this in the past just to be polite. I know everyone is well intentioned, especially at my job where I'm fortunate to work with really sweet people. They just don't realize that I don't and can't eat that way. I've considered trying to explain all of this, saying "I don't eat refined sugar or flour," but I don't want to be received as a pretentious asshole since I'm not too close with everyone. Instead, sometimes I'll even resort to white lies, saying, "No thanks, I just ate." I really don't find anything wrong with that. Or, if you are close with your coworkers, explain your situation to them. And honestly, just a polite no thank you is fine. If you're having trouble actually saying no, it helps to focus on how you will feel after. There is nothing wrong with indulging once in a while, I do! But if it's a constant struggle, I understand how that can be difficult to battle. The best you can do is just try to stick with healthy eats and realize it's a work in progress. Don't stress yourself out over every little thing you ate. So that's my advice for the day.

Anyway, last night I was craving Italian. But, not pasta. Meatballs! I love meatballs. I don't know why, I guess I could've just thrown the beef in the pan with everything, but it wouldn't have been as fun. Meatballs got the sparkle. I decided to saute them with peppers and onions. So I could get my veggie intake and because it just seemed appropriate.

Meatballs:
-1 lb ground beef with organs
-1 T worcestirshire
-1/4 onion chopped very fine, or put into food processor
-1 T tomato paste
-1 egg

After sauteing the onions and peppers in butter, I added the balls and some spaghetti sauce and let it simmer. On the side I had stuffed mushrooms:

-shrooms
-raw cheese
-little bit of onion
-little bit of tomato paste




And just as a random aside, I consumed 5 eggs before 11am today. With the yolks, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment