Monday, April 25, 2011

Lard Ain't Bad and Mike's Omelette

This weekend I was lazing around in bed and watching Nights In Rodanthe (I have no idea why). There's this scene in which Diana Lane and Richard Gere get all boozed up and start cleaning out a pantry. They're throwing away random items, canned sausages and the like. And they come across some lard. At this point, Richard exclaims, "Do you know what lard does to your arteries?!" The real question is: do you, Richard Gere, know what lard does to your arteries?

Let me tell you a little something about lard. It is a traditional cooking fat that has been used for thousands of years by various cultures. And yet, they never seemed to have had any issues with their arteries. Only did arteries, heart diseases, heart attacks, among other ailments become a problem when we switched from using traditional cooking fats (butter, lard, coconut oil) to using synthetic, hydrogenated oils. In fact, McDonald's even used to use lard to fry with, but then they realized it'd be way cheaper to use crappy hydrogenated oils. Also, if you recently heard about their new "lower fat" oil, you should know it's a blend of canola, corn and soy, all of which I assure you are genetically modified and will make you fat and give you cancer. Anyway, bottom line: traditional, whole fats=good. Get it together, Richard Gere.

So, while I was watching this movie I got a text from Mike telling me to check my email. Mind you, I'm really hungry at this point. What does he send me? A delicious looking picture of an omelette:
Apparently, it's his new favorite omelette. In the mix:
-3 eggs
-3 pieces of asparagus
-1 small tomato
-1 grass-fed bison hot dog
-cheese

I'm now determined to buy some bison hot dogs to recreate this.

No comments:

Post a Comment