Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Bacony and Cheesy Stuffed Peppers

Okay, so I know I say a lot of the food I make is awesome. But this is one of the best things I've ever made. And I'm sure it would appeal to non health freaks (like my friend, Katie D, who literally hates veggies). Plus, it involves cheese and bacon, two things you can't go wrong with, especially when combining them together. The green pepper was soft, the meat was smoky and cheesy, and tangy and full of flavor. It was just amazing. But first things first, I had a serious hankering for salad. This doesn't happen often, and I think my body really needed all the raw veggies. I didn't even want a juice, just salad. I combined romaine, yellow bell peppers, tomato, cilantro, nutritional yeast, carrots and cucumbers. I tossed mine with olive oil, apple cider vinegar and chipotle powder. And topped with an avocado.

I know most people aren't that into salads, but this genuinely was good. I love adding chipotle powder to my salads, and I have leftovers that I'm about to eat before lunch.

Stuffed Green Peppers:
-3 large green peps
-1 lb ground meat (I used organ meat, which I found out includes heart, liver and tongue)
-3 or so pieces of bacon
-spaghetti sauce
-Worcestershire sauce
-garlic
-onion
-1 egg
-cheese of choice
-1 can diced tomaters
To a food processor add three pieces of bacon, garlic, onion and tons of cheese. I used pecorino and mild/raw cheddar. In a separate bowl combine one egg, one pound of grass-fed beef, Worcestershire and spaghetti sauce, as much as you like. Incorporate well, using your hands! Stuff meat mixture into your peppers, and feel free cover with more cheese. To a baking dish add the can of tomatoes, and assemble the peppers on top. Cover and bake at 400 until the meat is cooked through. Which took me about 40 minutes. I served this with my buttery cabbage and onions.

When they came out of the oven:

Plated:
(check out that cheese!!)

Cut into:
So, so good. I can't emphasize enough how well the cheese, and bacon, and onion and garlic tasted together. A dinner with tons of veggies and some nourishing, grass-fed beef. This will definitely be a regular dinner.

And just for good measure, a closeup of Caedus:


Today is Mike's birthday and we're going to Toki Underground with his brother, Dale and his mom, Renee tonight. Toki is a (real) Japanese restaurant that serves ramen! Not like, the crap ramen that comes in plastic. Authentic ramen. It opened recently and I've been dying to try it. I've already decided that I'm also going to order the seafood dumplings, among other things. So stoked!

No comments:

Post a Comment