Thursday, April 28, 2011

I'm not gonna lie, I did not feel like cooking dinner last night. It was the first day of my period, my lower back was killing me and I'd been running around for the previous 12 hours in the day. I seriously considered just picking up food, despite the fact that it would definitely make me feel worse and I didn't have the money to do so. I got home around 7, remembered that I had salmon, threw it in a pot of warm water to thaw and took a shower. While showering I remembered that I had an onion, pepper and tomato that all needed to be used. Thus, salmon and Italian, cheesy veggies was born.

-1 piece of salmon
-butter
-chicken stock (unnecessary)
-half an onion
-half a pepper
-garlic
-tomato
-spaghetti sauce
-CHEESE

Melt the butter in a pan over medium high heat and add the salmon. Let it lightly brown on each side. Chop the veggies and add them to the salmon with some chicken stock and let the salmon cook through. Remove salmon. Add spaghetti sauce and let it cook down a bit. Transfer to plate, and grate cheese over it.

This came together in TEN MINUTES.


The veggies covered in cheese was so effing good.

So good, that I used the exact recipe above, but subbed sausage for salmon for my lunch today. So I got two meals out of this nifty little recipe.

I really think that if I can run around for 12 hours with a seriously aching body and cramps, get home so hungry that I'm ready to eat trash (not literally) and can still manage to make food for myself, then you can too! One of the biggest excuses I hear for not cooking for yourself is that people don't have time. I don't, but I always want to ask, well what are you doing after work? Are you taking a yoga class? Are you working out? Are you running errands? Or...are you sitting in front of your TV? (I realize this definitely does not apply to all people, and some people have insane schedules.) I empathize with people who have children. But it only takes a little more effort and planning and the benefits are infinite. If you're overweight, sick all the time, fatigued, unhappy, you need to take the time to change that. I firmly believe that it starts with eating right.

No comments:

Post a Comment