Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Herbed Chicken with MAC AND CHEESE

Everyone loves mac and cheese. Unfortunately, most people eat Kraft mac and cheese. Here are the ingredients to cheddar explosion:

ENRICHED MACARONI PRODUCT (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, FERROUS SULFATE [IRON], THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), CHEESE SAUCE MIX (WHEY, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CHEDDAR CHEESE [MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES], GRANULAR CHEESE [MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES], CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, SUGAR, MALTODEXTRIN, PALM OIL, SALT, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF CALCIUM CARBONATE, CREAM, CELLULOSE GUM, SODIUM TRIPOLYPHOSPHATE, LACTOSE, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, CITRIC ACID, XANTHAN GUM, BLUE CHEESE [MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES], MEDIUM CHAIN TRIGLYCERIDES, GUAR GUM, LACTIC ACID, ENZYMES, YELLOW 5, YELLOW 6, NATURAL FLAVOR); MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, SALT, MALTODEXTRIN, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, ACETYLATED MONOGLYCERIDES, MEDIUM CHAIN TRIGLYCERIDES, APOCAROTENAL (COLOR).

Are you kidding me? This is a product that is marketed toward children and I can't even count how many ingredients are in it. That's ridiculous and disgusting. The sad thing is that people will go right along eating this, oblivious (or even worse, aware) of the chemicals they are putting into their bodies. This is not healthy. Children should not be eating it. Children should eat my mac and cheese, which consists of:

-brown rice noods
-cheese(s) of choice
-butter
-mustard powder and or/nutritional yeast
-milk and/or cream

Doesn't that look a lot better? And it's every bit as cheesy. I boiled the pasta and melted the butter in a pan on the side. To this, Kait and I added the cheese we had on hand, which was raw chedder and raw garlic cheddar. I also added cream. It is more traditional to use milk, but I just wanted to use cream. I did throw in nutritional yeast, which has a cheesy flavor, as I did not have mustard powder. Though I love nutritional yeast for several different things, I do not think I'd add it again.

Herbed chicken:
-onions
-butter
-chicken
-chicken stock
-herbs

Method:
-sautee onions in butter
-add the chicken
-add chicken stock, cook through until most of the stock has evaporated
-add herbs of choice, I used oregano, thyme and basil

Served with very lightly steamed carrots and broc that were also tossed in butter.

For some more recipes check out Real Food Wednesday!

2 comments:

  1. Sadly, boxed mac and cheese is all most kids will ever be exposed to. Homemade is SO much better!

    ReplyDelete