Tuesday, August 9, 2011

cookin' a whole chicken

Last night I hit up Trader J's for some groceries. I freaking love grocery shopping. I got:
-avocados
-garlic
-grape tomatoes
-2 jars organic marinara
-free range/organic whole chicken (5 lbs)
-mushrooms
-a bunch of wild caught sole
-smoked oysters
-carrots
-romaine
-parsley
-cilantro
-pecorino romano
-two bags of mozzarella cheese
-two tubs of cottage cheese (pissed I couldn't find full fat)
-no boil lasagna noods x2
-some other random household goods
-probably a bunch of things I'm forgetting

All organic. All for $78. So tight. I would've easily spent over $100 at Yes Organic Market.

I've never cooked a whole chicken before. That shit is daunting. Turns out it's not hard at all. Covered it in salt and pepper, some spice mix in my pantry that smelled like Thanksgiving and olive oil. Popped it in the oven at 425 for an hour and a half.

Going in.


Coming out.


I was concerned it would be dry but it turned out pretty juicy. And now I can eat chicken throughout the week. I noshed on these babies while the chicken was cooking:


Tomorrow is lasagna night! I'm having a lasagna night for a few of my friends, specifically Joel for doing me a solid recently. A while ago I started using cottage cheese instead of ricotta to make my lasagnas. I thought this was pretty crafty, until I realized that a bunch of other people had the same idea before me. Oh well. I bet my lasagna tastes better.

No comments:

Post a Comment