Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Unstuffed Quesadilla

I can never leave the grocery store without a few impulse buys. The important part about impulse buys, is checking the ingredients. Oftentimes I'll buy an Amy's frozen meal that I wasn't planning on, I usually get the organic/gluten free ones so the ingredient list is pretty safe. Last night, I saw hemp seed garlic mayo! I love mayo, and I love garlic. I checked the ingredients and they were pretty legit, so into the cart it went. Then I came across some smoked oysters in olive oil. I reminded myself how great oysters are for you, so I got those too. Then I saw a delicious pack of frozen quesadillas just really wanted it. But soy flour? No thanks, I put it back.

Upon my return home, I opened the hemp seed oil/garlic mayo and gave it a try. Not too bad. But upon re-checking the ingredients, what I had thought said grapeseed oil, actually said rapeseed oil, aka canola oil, aka toxic. I'm definitely not down with eating it, but I know others are not as opposed to canola oil as I am. If anyone would like the garlic mayo, just let me know and it's yours. I hate to waste food. The quesadillas inspired my Mexican themed dinner, but in the meantime I munched on these babies:


SO good! I really love oysters.


For dinner I decided to make veggie/chicken quesadillas, minus the tortillas. Unstuffed quesadillas?
-chicken
-butter
-chicken stock
-peppers
-onions
-tomato
-chili powder
-cumin
-cayenne
-chipotle

I sauteed the chicken in butter before adding the chicken stock, veggies and herbs. I let this cook for a bit until all the flavors were incorporated.


Since I love guacamole so much, I literally had it as a side dish. Sort of how a normal person would have mashed potatoes, or rice.


Since I was craving a quesadilla, I grated a whole bunch of cheddar on the chicken and veggies.


Hit. The. Spot.


For more recipes check out  The Healthy Home Economist!

And for dessert, since I was craving something sweet I had some raw yogurt with raw honey mixed in. I'm pretty proud of myself for completely staying away from grains yesterday. I feel a lot better when I do. There's a party at work today that will probably have lots of sweets so we'll see how that goes...Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment