Tuesday, May 10, 2011

How To Grocery Shop and Like It

I LOVE grocery shopping. I love to pick out the food, check out the produce, find new and delicious ingredients. I think trying to enjoy grocery shopping is one of the first steps to enjoying cooking for yourself. Last night I went to the Takoma Park Silver Spring Co-op. Outside they had herb and veggie plants! I was going to start my own garden from seeds, but when I found an organic beefsteak tomato plant and an organic yellow bell pepper plant, I couldn't resist. I'm so stoked to grow these babies and start my own garden! I love the Aerogarden that Mike got me, but other than refilling the water and nutrients, I don't do much, which ensures I do not kill all the herbs, which I've done in the past. I'm just convinced I haven't developed my green thumb yet. I really intend to take care of these babies!

You should always make a list for groceries. If you don't, and you're not one of those people who eats simple protein and veggies and fats for most meals, you will buy things you do not need. Lists help you organize your meals while saving money also. It's helpful to make a chart of breakfasts/lunches/dinners for the week and formulate a list based off of that. While grocery shopping, the old addage is true, do not do it while you're hungry! I really had to force myself to not buy 4 different items in the prepared foods section. Since I was starving though, and they didn't have Amy's vegan gluten free pizza (seriously best pizza ever) I got a brown rice spicy tuna roll for dinner. Not the best option, and $7! But that's what happens when you're unprepared. I usually do my grocery shopping on weekends. That way I'm not scrambling to get to the store after work, and I'm usually not hungry.

When I got home, I forced myself to work out. I stopped for a couple weeks because I was A) lazy and B) my back started to kill me. I kept saying the mantra I heard from Peanut Butter Fingers, "I never regret a workout." But I knew I'd regret not working out. So, I forced myself to get off my ass and stop watching Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman (no, that is not a joke). For workouts, I rarely do cardio. I lift weights! I find it's much more beneficial. After the workout I had some liquid protein to replenish.

Around 9 I was hungry again and didn't want to make a full on dinner so I had a random assortment. Tomatoes with olive oil, s&p, and basil, an avocado, a piece of soaked spelt bread (don't usually eat bread, but it was soaked spelt, and an impulse buy) and a hunk of brie with mushrooms in it!! I found this at the co-op. Amazing.
I love simple food. The brie!

Tonight for dinner I'm going to make my own tortillas! Grain free baby! I'll be using this recipe from Mark's Daily Apple (love this dude). I'll post a recap tomorrow, have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment