Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Healthy Meatloaf and Super Bowl Eats

One meal Mike makes a lot is meatloaf. It's really easy to make a giant batch and eat it throughout the week with a salad. Which is what we did for dinner last night. Most meatloaf is full of ketchup (high fructose corn syrup? no thanks) and refined bread (sometimes we don't even add bread, but last night he used spelt). When I make it I usually add tomatoes and/or tomato sauce. Mike's was pretty good though:
It didn't come out like this. He removed it from the baking dish and stacked it so he could measure, this was after we already loaded some onto our plates.
ingredients:

We recently signed up for accounts on livestrong.com so I just copied and pasted his recipe from there. It's an amazing site and I'll talk more about it in the future. Bake this uncovered on 350 for 40 minutes.

I am so stoked for the super bowl! I actually don't care that much about football, especially if the Redskins aren't playing.
Gotta rep the Skins.
But I like that my roommates and I all gather in the living room and watch Mike's giant projector that projects onto our wall. I like that we have a bunch of friends coming over and some of them are bringing food while I also get to make food for them. I like that we're gonna have a few brews (or probably wine in my case) and it's going to be super fun. On my menu:
garlic hummus and pita
smoked mozzarella pasta salad
5 layer bean dip ("refried" beans, guac, sour cream, pico de gallo and raw pepper jack)
french bread with brie and honey
and maybe brownies topped with marshmallows

I know it's not very raw dominant or healthy, but it's food we can all enjoy and I like to eat this way sometimes. At least it'll all be organic. It's nice to indulge.  Recipes and pics to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment