Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Valentine's Dinner Ideas

A couple weeks ago when I was doing my grocery shopping I came across some organic, grass-fed steaks. They weren't too expensive, and I figured I'd make a nice dinner for Mike and I. Then I got the brilliant idea to buy four scallops (two for each of us) to put on top. They were expensive, I couldn't allow myself to buy more than four. What does hand in hand with steak? Mashed potatoes. We don't usually eat mashed potatoes because they spike your blood sugar and are very starchy. But, I figured we eat well so often so whatever. I realized later that this would make a great Valentine's Day dinner to make for a guy. I served this with a salad and a side of sauteed peppers and onions.
Ingredients:
-two steaks of your choice
-scallops
-butter
-garlic
-onions
-parsley
-peppers
-balsamic vinegar
-red potatoes
-cream
-salad (I think you can figure out how to make a salad)

Melt butter in a hot pan and add the steaks (make sure to pat the steaks dry and season them with S&P) and garlic. Cook until medium rare, about three or four minutes on each side depending on how thick they are. Add in garlic about half way through the cooking process, making sure that you will not burn the garlic. Remove to sit, do not slice into them yet! The juices will go everywhere. To the same pan add the peppers and onions. Sautee them until the desired consistency. I like them to still have a bit of a crunch. Toss with the chopped parsley.
For the scallops, melt butter and garlic in a pan over high heat. Place scallops in pan, and let sear for about a minute. Do this on the other side as well and arrange on top of steaks.
For the potatoes, I boiled them, and smashed them with raw cream and butter and threw in some garlic powder.
It looked like this:
And it tasted awesome. Eating this with salad balances it out, right? Not the healthiest meal ever, but it's nice for special occasions. Even though we don't really celebrate V-day, maybe I'll do something this year...

No comments:

Post a Comment