Monday, February 7, 2011

Super Bowl Eats

Not gonna lie, I didn't care that much about watching the super bowl. I decided to go for the Packers for the following reasons:
1. I do not like Roethlisberger
2. I heard they were the underdogs, which apparently was not true
3. They weren't Pittsburgh

I definitely cared more about hanging out and eating food. So I went to Trader Joe's early in the day which was a complete shitshow. Long lines, no parking, completely packed. Recently my roommate, Dale, bought a DEEP FRYER. So the boys were planning on frying their faces off. Meanwhile, I made gluten free pasta salad along with a Mexican dip.

Pasta Salad:
  • 1 bag TJ's organic brown rice tubular pasta
  • half ball of mozzarella
  • 1 cup grated pecorino romano
  • lots of halved grape tomatoes
  • garlic
  • sour cream
  • vinaigrette
Cook pasta according to instructions and just toss all of these ingredients together. Super simple.

Mexican Bean/Guac/Pico dip:
  • 1 can organic black beans
  • cumin
  • chili powder
  • 2 avocados
  • tomatoes
  • 1 onion
  • cilantro
  • lemon juice
  • pepper jack cheese
  • sour cream
I put the beans in the vitamix with the cumin and chili powder and grinded until they were broken down but still had some chunks. I poured this in the bottom of the bowl. Smash the avocados and add diced tomatoes, onions and cilantro. I topped this with tomatoes, onions, cilantro and lime juice. I then melted a good amount of the cheese in the microwave along with some sour cream to make a melty cheese sauce. I poured this over top. The pepper jack and sour cream I used were both raw. It was a successful dish.

This is my other roommate and buddy, Nick. He made reuben eggs rolls! They also made fried shrimp and bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers.
Pasta salad, dip, hummus from TJ's (which actually contains canola oil, no good) and shrimp waiting to be deep fried.
We actually had a lot more food than this, as other people brought things also. It was nice to hang out and eat with everyone. Maybe next year the Skins will be in the bowl...

No comments:

Post a Comment