Thursday, February 17, 2011

Homemade Tomato Bisque and Grilled Cheese

One of my roommates, Dan, buys this tomato bisque soup from Giant. It's actually really delicious. It's spicy, creamy and tangy from the tomatoes. I used to eat it all the time when I was younger. Unfortunately, a couple months ago he bought it and I had gone over the ingredients. I don't remember what they were exactly (high fructose? hydrogenated oil?), but it's safe to say I put it back down and will never eat it again. After that I got inspired to make my own.
The best tomato bisque:
  • 1 large tomato
  • 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 1/4-1/2 cup spaghetti sauce
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 can diced/whole tomatoes
  • 3/4 cup cream
  • onion
  • celery
  • carrots
  • garlic
  • red pepper flakes
Cut up the large tomato into large chunks and place under broiler till roasted. Sautee the onion, carrot, celery and garlic in the butter until soft. Add about 1/4 cup chicken stock and let reduce. Combine this in your blender (thank god I bought Mike a Vitamix for Christmas a couple years ago) blender with the roasted tomato, cream, jar of tomatoes, chicken stock and spaghetti sauce. Season with S&P and add as much red pepper flakes as you like, I like it hot, so I added quite a bit.
I served this with a grilled cheese. I used raw cheddar and brown rice bread that I cooked in raw butter.

Soooo good.
I ended up literally spilling this soup ALL over myself. It got on my hoodie, my hips and my legs, which I'D JUST SHAVEN. Remeber how I told you I like my food spicy and I added a lot of red pepper flakes? OUCH. Mike thought this was really funny, but it really hurt. I guess it was kind of funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment