Wednesday, March 28, 2012

organs>booze


Pig head terrine, duck liver pate, I don't even know the third piece of meat.


Soft shell crab.


Scott's finally going to read The Vegetarian Myth!

I know some of my friends think I'm weird for some of the "gross" things I eat. Raw veggie juices, bone broths, liver and other organ meats, etc. The thing is, first of all, I don't find these foods to be gross. I actually really like my raw vegetable juice. I like my bone broth when I make it right (aka not accidentally dump a pound of salt in it like I did the other night) and I like my liver, tongue and heart when it's mixed in with my ground beef or prepared well. 

But sometimes, I don't like these things. Sometimes I just consume them because I know they're good for my body. And this is when I've gotten called weird, or more accurately, gross.

But if you think about it, most of us consume a lot of gross things for the end result. Particularly: booze. No one likes the taste of a shot. That's why chasers exist. That's why we make faces right after we take them. We take shots for the end result: getting tipsy, or drunk, or wasted. And that's okay. But I don't particularly think I'm gross for drinking my veggies or eating my organs so that my end result is health. People smoke cigarettes, and I actually am not sure why. I've never liked them. People smoke weed, which makes them cough and makes them smell weird. And people even do hard drugs for the end result. I'm just takin' my good old fermented cod liver pills!

So basically, a lot of things I advocate can seem gross at first, but I assure you they are not. It may take some getting used to, but if you can take a shot, you can drink some damn green juice and eat some damn liver. Don't be a pansy.

No comments:

Post a Comment