Friday, March 23, 2012

beauty products

I used to spend a lot of money on beauty products. I worked at Aveda for a while, and while it's really a great company with amazing products and a wonderful committment to organic ingredients and the environment, it is expensive. Don't get me wrong, the products work really well, but now I realize spending over $10 on shampoo or a facewash is unecessary.

Our interal health reflects our external appearance.

Our skin is our largest organ, and if we are consuming too many toxins, or if the liver is experiencing a toxic overload, the toxins will release via the skin.

If we are not consuming enough healthy fats (butter, coconut oil, lard, etc) the skin will be dry, the hair will be brittle. Conversely, if we are consuming bad fats (corn, cotton, canola and soy oils) the body will reflect this with cellulite, and an overall toxic reaction (not to mention a myriad of diseases).

If we are consuming sugar or refined grains this will surely reflect in appearance. I recently heard someone say that a diet low in grains isn't just low carb, it's low toxin. This is so true. Grains are filled with toxic anti nutrients, phytate, lectin, and gluten. Sugar is addictive, suppresses your immune system, feeds cancer cells and has a host of other issues.

If we eat to support our bodies, our bodies will outwardly reflect this effort. I've always had troubled skin, and the only thing that has improved it is my diet. I still have problems and I am my eating is still not where it needs to be, but that's okay. It's a process and we've all gotta start somewhere. I will get better, and my skin will get better. But as a teen and into my early twenties, instead of realizing my skin and hair problems were related to being a vegetarian and eating a crap ton of grains, I bought expensive hair products, skin products and body lotions. I still bought organic and enviro friendly, so it's not like I made a huge switch in that aspect. I just found that using basic and simple ingredients are all that's really necessary, and thankfully it's a lot cheaper. So here are some products I use.

Dr. Bronner - Castile Soap

I love this soap. It just gets you clean and does its job. I wash my face with it because it's  great at removing makeup. It also has approximately eighteen thousand other uses.

Organix: Shampoos Parent

Organix: Shampoos Parent

These still have ingredients I don't like, but are paraben and sulfate free. They smell really good, and are great on my hair. Plus, they're cheap.

Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 54-Ounce Containers (Pack of 2)

The most important, most used item in my beauty arsenal. I eat it. I use it as body lotion. I use it as face lotion. I put it on the ends of my hair as a split end mender, or all over for smoothing/shiny effect. Coconut oil is by far the most effective and used product I have. Miranda Kerr, that really hot Victoria's Secret supermodel eats four tablespoons a day to maintain her looks. Buy this!

Desert Essence Facial Moisturizers, Lotions and Scrubs

The absolute best exfoliant to use is raw honey and course sea salt. I sometimes add almond oil to this and it acts as an intense moisturizer. My skin has never been softer than after I exfoliate with raw honey and sea salt. Even after a facial.
So these are some products I use everyday. Don't forget that your skin is your largest organ, and will absorb any and everything you put on it. And seriously, buy some coconut oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment