Tuesday, July 12, 2011

clams in tomato basil broth

When I went to the Dupont farmers market on Sunday I also scored some clams. One of the vendors had a bunch of amazing seafood, including crabs! I really wanted to buy some, especially since they had large ziploc bags full of just crab claws...but it was a little out of my price range. So I went with the $6 bag of clams. At the Silver Spring farmers market on Saturday I got some tomatoes from Orchard Farms. Every summer, they have the most amazing tomatoes. Like absolutely mind blowing. I never knew a tomato could taste so good until I had theirs. They're sweet and ripe, but firm and have more flavor than any tomato I've ever had. So. For the clams I combined:

-1 decently sized tomato
- fresh basil (also from market)
-as much garlic as you like, naturally I used a ton
-red pepper flakes
-butter
-a little filtered water, and s&p

I let this cook down a little before adding the clams and covering the pot for about two minutes.

For the side I had a sort of caprese salad. I used:

-cherry tomatoes from the market
-garlic
-basil
-raw cheese
-organic garlic olive oil from Trader J's


Yeah, I used a glass because all of my bowls were dirty. I also toasted up some soaked bread and added lots of butter to it, so I could soak up the sauce from the clams.


Not gonna lie, I'm pretty proud of myself for this dinner. The sauce I cooked the clams in was so good, and super simple. Simple food really is the best food.

Now, on my agenda is figure out what to do with some sardines I bought. I've never used sardines in my life. Here goes.

This post is part of Real Food Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment