Thursday, March 3, 2011

Chinese-ish Food with Kelp Noodles

I think Chinese food is one of the hardest foods to make. I try to make it taste like the MSG/sugar/flour/preservative laden food I used to love, but a lot of times, I just fall short. This meal however, I really enjoyed! If you're not familiar with kelp noodles (or sea spaghetti) hear are some of the benefits:
  • helps remove heavy metals from your body
  • high content of iodine (which most people are lacking in)
  • aid digestion/metabolism
  • more than 21 amino acids
  • contain potassium, magnesium and iron
I know they sound like some crazy obscure ingredient that only a health nut would use. But you can find them in your local co-op or Whole Foods. The noodles do not taste like the sea at all and have a crunch, like you're biting into a pepper. They're very versatile.  
I wanted a crispy chicken, so I dredged some chicken in eggs, then in coconut flour mixed with garlic powder, paprika and pepper. Coconut flour is low carb, high protein and fiber and gluten free. I fried them in butter/olive oil. In another pan I sauteed peppers and onions in butter. For the sauce I used:
  • almond butter
  • liquid aminos
  • garlic
  • a little bit of hoisin
  • sesame oil
Combine all of this and mix in the kelp noodles at the very end, to heat through. I do not cook them.

No comments:

Post a Comment