Thursday, December 1, 2011

fasting

I am fasting. I've discussed the benefits of fasting before, but some include overall detoxification, giving your digestive system a rest, increased longevity, improved blood lipids and a long list of other benefits. Until you fast, you don't really pay attention to how many of your social interactions revolve around food. I thought now would be a good time to fast because I don't really have anything going on this weekend, and Scott's in London. We usually go out to eat pretty regularly, and I've gotten even better at amending menu options to fit a primal diet. But since I don't have to do any of that in the near future, and because I felt like a good fast was in order I'm doing it now. For dinner last night I had scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, tomato and mozzarella (these purple tomatoes I scored from Yes are da bomb) and leftover potato-cauliflower mash.


Kind of random, but it was what I had in my fridge that I wanted to use before the fast.


This morning I broke out the juicer. I used (all organic) a tomato, at least 10 carrots, several stalks of celery, one lime, handful of cranberries, kale, dandelion greens, 3 heads of romaine and a cucumber.


I poured it into my 27oz water bottle to take the work and chugged the rest.


Doesn't look like a lot, but actually is a decent amount.


I also packed my homemade turkey stock, as well as tea made with one bag or super antioxidant green tea and one bag of detox tea. And took my usual vitamin C, vitamin D, folic acid, grape seed extract, beta carotene and indol-3-carbinole vitamins.

I was actually inspired to do a juice fast by Lexie, who is doing one for 10 days. I'm just planning on doing mine for however long I make it, but at least 3 days. I don't currently feel overwhelmingly hungry, but I'll just have some juice and broth when I do. Lexie (like how I call her by her name, like I know her? I'm such a creep) said something I thought was helpful, and it was to the effect of: you've been eating your entire life, taking some time off won't be that hard. Which is true. Plus it's a good exercise in self control. Though I'm real stoke to do up some smoked salmon scrambled eggs covered in butter when this is done.

Here I am with my juice:


Gotta love that flourescent lighting...

No comments:

Post a Comment