Thursday, October 20, 2011

weekend and vegan enchilladas

Over the weekend Scott and I took pictures with Flat Stanley for his niece. First, Flat Stanley hung out with Lincoln.

And lastly, he visited the Cap.


After taking Flat Stanley on several adventures, Scott and I went to dinner at Founding Farmers. I really like that place. I got steak from a local farmer, asparagus and cauliflower. I ordered the steak rare and I liked how it was cooked, it drives me nuts when people overcook meat. At one point our waitress asked, "Is that cooked enough for you?" Clearly, she did not read my blog.


And on Tuesday we made vegan enchiladas! If you've read my blog you know I am the farthest thing from a vegan. But this wasn't so bad. Scott cooked this all by himself with minimal instruction from me. I was so proud. He sauteed onions and peppers in coconut oil. A lot of coconut oil. He thought it might be too much, but coconut oil is so amazing for you (anti-viral, anti-fungal, saturated fat, etc) so there really is no such thing as too much coconut oil. We also added a can of black beans and taco seasoning to the peppers and onions. I brought over semi-demolished brown rice tortillas which we used for my half of the enchiladas while he used organic wheat tortillas that he stole from his roommate/life partner, Friilock. I bought enchilada sauce from Yes! Organic Market so we put that in the bottom, filled the tortillas with the veggies mixture, and then covered it in the rest of the enchilada sauce and an entire bag of Daiya cheese. While I by no means consider this cheese a health food, it's the best vegan cheese option (soy and gluten-free) and I honestly kind of like it.


Also served with pico de gallo. Surprisingly, I really enjoyed this meal. Since I normally don't eat beans or rice it did make me bloated but at least it was gluten free.

Ingredients:
-1 yellow pepper
-1 red pepper
-1 onion
-cilantro, as much as you like
-coconut oil, the more, the better
-taco seasoning
-tortilla of your choice (go gluten-free and do up the brown rice tortilla)
-enchilada sauce
-cheese of your choice
-tomato
- can of black beans

No comments:

Post a Comment