Thursday, January 20, 2011

Sample Healthy Eating Grocery List

When I first started the transition into eating a healthier, more balanced diet I wasn’t really sure what to buy at the grocery store. It seems like such a simple task but it can be daunting if  you’re unsure of what to buy. First, it really helps to plan meals. I know that I’ll have some form of eggs for breakfast every morning, so I buy four dozen (for both Mike and I, not just myself). I try to eat a good amount of salmon, fish is one of the best things you can eat and salmon is loaded with Omega 3′s so you should eat a good amount. I know I’ll need ground beef so I buy that, along with whatever vegetables I need from the farmer’s market every Saturday morning. Luckily, our farmer’s market is about a block away from a Whole Foods, so what I can’t buy at the market I buy at WF (or Trader Joe’s, because it’s cheaper). I thought it would be helpful to demonstrate my grocery list for this week.
  • Rutabaga 
  • Broccoli slaw
  • broccoli
  • Jalapenos
  • Chicken links if you can find organic, or  organic/grass-fed/uncured hot dogs
  • raw cheese
  • carrots
  • Kale
  • Cucumber
  • Cauliflower
  • potatoes
  • lettuces
  • Broccoli
  • tomatoes
  • cilantro
  • Avocado
  • smoked salmon
  • Steak
  • ground beef
  • Fabric softener sheets
  • detergent
  • shampoo
  • scallops? (With a ? because they are expensive, but I wanted to make a really nice dinner).
  • Cream
  • Pastured butter
  • Turkey
  • brown rice wrap
  • black beans
  • canned tomatoes
  • mayo (I bought safflower mayo, not ideal, but I’ve been craving mayo and this is better than canola and/or soybean based mayo. I’ve also bought vegan, soy-free grape seed oil, which is superior to safflower, but I couldn’t find it).
It really helps to jot down breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks and then base your grocery list off of that. I already have a lot of pantry staples so I did not need any of those. I also know what I will need, and meals I eat semi regularly, so I don’t need to write a meal plan every week (although I like to sometimes because I honestly think it’s fun).
I do need to get better about buying snacks. There are SO many times when I’m not super hungry, but I am hungry and want to munch on something. I usually go for carrots and hummus, but I’d like to add more variety. The problem with snacks is they’re usually so processed, and contain either tons of sugar, or tons of refined carbs. Or they’re potato chips (which I LOVE, but have to limit). Mike recently bought Amazing Grass Green SuperFood which you can find here. It tastes sort of like chocolate tea. It’s loaded with veggies and antioxidants, and is super easy to chug down with water when I don’t have time to make juice (like this morning). I’m thinking I’m going to buy their bars. I love that they’re organic, and I hear they taste pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment