Thursday, January 20, 2011

Taco Meatloaf with Spanish Rice


I have not been eating enough veggies lately. I’ve had my green juice in the mornings, but I definitely don’t feel that it’s enough. I’m going to try to up the veggies again. Vegetables are so amazing for you and should be an accompaniment to every single meal.
Tonight for dinner I had a thawed out pound of ground beef I got at the farmer’s market from a local farm, Evensong Farm. I try to switch things up when it comes to the way I eat because I get bored easily. Mike could eat the same meal everyday, I however, definitely cannot. I figured I could jazz up some meatloaf, and since I’ve been all about Mexican food, Taco Meatloaf was created. When I thought this would be a good idea I googled taco meatloaf for some recipes. They completely sucked. They were all to the effect of adding Kraft singles cheese, crushed up taco shells and even Goldfish. Why take something that could be potentially healthy and ruin it? Ten bucks says mine tastes better anyway.
Ingredients:
-1lb ground beef
-1 tomato
-1 onion
-1/3 cup salsa (optional)
-cilantro, as much as you like
-dash of: chipotle, chili powder, cumin
Put in 450 degree over for about a half hour, or until center is no longer pink. Right before I was about to take it out I shredded some raw cheddar over top to melt. I added more cilantro over top for two reasons. 1) Cilantro tastes awesome and 2) It’s awesome for you, it draws heavy metals out of your body.
I’m not that into eating grains but Mike’s been wanting rice lately so I figured this would pair well with some Spanish rice.
-1 cup organic brown rice
-1 1/2 cup water or stock
-2 T butter
-1 diced tomato
-1 diced onion
-chili powder, cumin, chipotle


Oh, and served with some pico de gallo also. I usually suck at making rice. Mike always make it because I seemed to ruin it by ending up with watery or crunchy rice. This was not the case tonight, this rice was AWESOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment