Wednesday, January 4, 2012

primal fried chicken and pizza

Yup, fried chicken and pizza. Since I can't and won't eat the real thing, I decided to make my own. We know that fried chicken is usually in the form of arsenic laced (yeah, non-organic chickens have traces of arsenic!), refined wheat and fried in rancid vegetable oils. Or, cancer on a plate (or in a bucket). Pizza is refined wheat and processed cheese, with sauce that most likely contains high fructose corn syrup. So even while this may not be the most primal meal, it's still a hell of a lot healthier. And sometimes you just need fried chicken and/or pizza. In my case, I felt that I needed both.

I started out with the pizza crust. I used Elana Amsterdam's recipe that I got from Paleo Table. I don't care whether my pizza is round or square, or somewhere in the  middle. It came out like this:


After baking I added gouda, onions that I sauteed in grass-fed and raw butter, and mushrooms. I recently read via the Healthy Home Economist that gouda is very high in Vitamin K2, an essential vitamin. I did some more research to confirm this and I am so stoked! A lot of people in the primal community do not do dairy, I am not one of them! It does not affect me negatively and I now have an excellent excuse to eat gouda, not that I actually need one.


I put it under the broiler for about 5 minutes.


And it was amazing.


So, so good and so reminiscent of that terrible for you pizza. I love that this grain-free recipe was so simple and turned out so sturdy. Amazing.

For the fried chicken I beat an egg and put that in one bowl, while I added almond flour, paprika, cayenne, garlic and mustard powder to another.


Dip in egg, dip in "flour" mixture and add to pot full of coconut oil and non-hydrogenated organic palm oil.


And dominate a plate of fried chicken and pizza. I dipped in organic ketchup, mustard and rooster sauce.


And now I have the rest for lunch today. I can't emphasize enough how awesome leftovers are. They're healthier than buying your lunch and they save you money! 


Later today I'll post about Scott and I's New Years weekend. Caps game, Annapolis and Wale! So amazing.

This post is part of Real Food Wednesday.

1 comment:

  1. I just tried to post and it didn't go through. Grr. YOUR PIZZA LOOKS SOO GOOD. I'm envious of all the crab soup you were able to eat. I would move home just to be closer to CRABBIES!

    ReplyDelete