Friday, June 17, 2011

homemade mayo, chicken salad lettuce wraps

I don't know why I thought making my own mayo would be hard. It just seemed so daunting, I've heard that you need to heat the bowl, need room temperature eggs, need precise measurements, need to whisk in the olive oil one drop at a time, etc. Haha, none of that is true. I didn't do any of that and my mayo turned out awesome. I was worried mostly about the texture, that it would be too water or something, but it wasn't an issue at all. I didn't even follow a recipe and it was still fine. My recipe:
-2 pastured egg yolks
-2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
-half cup olive oil
-1 teaspoon dijon mustard
-1 garlic clove
-s&p to taste

I whipped out my mini food processor and beat the egg yolks, dijon and ACV for about 20 seconds (don't even know if this actually made a difference in the end texture). I added a little bit of olive oil until it looked thick, then added some more until it looked thick,

then added 1 clove of garlic and the rest of the olive oil. It was delicious. Creamy and tangy and garlicky. The texture was not at all watery, it was thick like store bought mayo, and stuck to my finger

(I am not giving you the finger, it just happened this way)

 I would never eat store bought mayo because it is mainly comprised of soybean and/or canola oil. Even the brands that tout "Made with olive oil!" still use soy and canola oils. I used this mayo to make chicken salad! I boiled some chicken, shredded it and added half a diced onion.


And put it in lettuce boats


And added some chipotle powder to one, because chipotle powder is amazing. It was like chipotle mayo chicken salad.


Such a good completely homemade dinner. Raw egg yolks are so nourishing for your body, filled with essential fats.

Iiiit's Friday! I am so, so excited for the fundraiser tomorrow. I got an email detailing some of the food options:

Enjoy food prepared by restauranteurs who led the way in supporting
local farms and local ingredients...Restaurant Nora, the first Certified
Organic restaurant in the US and Coppi's Organic, which has been
sourcing local organic ingredients for almost 20 years now. We will also
enjoy food from Pizzeria Paradiso, and Krishon Chocolates, and ferments
from North Mountain Pastures. Poste Brasserie, one of the BEST and most
supportive restaurants in the city, might also be sending some wares as
well as biodynamic and organic wines.

Amazing. I'll make sure to try and snag some pictures of the event. Have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment